Aims and objectives
The School seeks to:
- Highlight the importance of language learning and related study.
- Support parents/carers and teachers to help motivate and enthuse language learners from an early age.
- Encourage teaching colleagues to develop best practice in language pedagogy.
- Support strategically important and vulnerable languages and related cultural subjects.
Key elements of our approach include:
- Promoting languages in schools, colleges and communities through outreach work, in the local amd regional area.
- Strengthening links with the primary, secondary, tertiary and community education sectors.
- Supporting the organisations and bodies that link to languages and related cultural studies, e.g. Specialist Schools Trust and Association for Language Learning.
- Working with teaching and careers colleagues across the sector to maintain a positive awareness of the University of Manchester and the School of Languages, Linguistics and Cultures.
- Maintaining a supportive environment for potential and actual UCAS applicants and their parents.
- Developing activities and programmes to promote less widely taught languages.
- Working with teaching colleagues and resource managers to develop interactive, ground-breaking and innovative teaching materials in language subjects.
- Encouraging and supporting language teachers to collaborate and share best practice in language pedagogy.