French and Portuguese (4 Years) [BA]
View tabbed content | View all content (for printing)
UCAS course code: RR15
UCAS institution code: M20
Degree awarded: BA
Duration: 4 years
Typical A level offer: Grades AAB-ABB incl. French at grade A
Course fees: Please refer to the undergraduate fees pages for the latest information.
Academic department: School of Languages, Linguistics and Cultures
Related website: www.llc.manchester.ac.uk/
Contact email: email@example.com
Contact telephone: +44 (0)161 275 3211
How to apply: Apply through UCAS.
BA (Hons) French and Portuguese
Provides a comprehensive grounding in French language, literature, culture, history and linguistics. It enables students to become proficient enough in French to live and work effectively in a French-speaking environment.
- Throughout the course students will be trained in modern spoken and written French by following a high level core language course. From Year One, students will discover how the language really works by learning about its morphology, syntax, phonology and phonetics.
- Students will thoroughly develop your French language skills by working with a variety of oral and written French texts and engaging in discussions in French (most of this language instruction takes place in French and is predominantly taught by native speakers).
- Core language courses at all levels of study are complemented by a variety of other French and Francophone-related topic areas, and by a period spent in a French-speaking country, which might be metropolitan France or further afield. Independent, monitored self study will reinforce your knowledge of grammar and vocabulary.
- Students also take a set of broad-based content courses designed to provide essential grounding in key areas of French culture (especially visual studies), literature, history, society and linguistics. Some of the content teaching on these courses, in the first and subsequent years, is in English, so that you can focus fully on the new concepts introduced to you and can hone not only your French language skills, but also your expression and accuracy in English.
- Students will develop a strong grounding in Portuguese language and develop a sophisticated understanding of topics affecting Portuguese speaking populations across the world.
- In Portuguese students will study either European or Brazillian Portuguese throughout the course. Alongside a range of cultural modules in areas such as contemporary culture, colonialism, literature and cinema from Brazil, Mozambique and Portugal.
The degree is awarded as a single class, based on the marks achieved in both languages.