The School offers a wide range of modular courses. As well as Single Honours, there are opportunities for Joint Honours and IPML
For a list of courses available in each subject area, click on the corresponding link below :
- East Asian Studies
- French Studies
- German Studies
- Italian Studies
- Linguistics and English Language
- Middle Eastern Studies
- Russian Studies
- Spanish, Portuguese and Latin American Studies
- Modern Languages - This is a four-year course, including a compulsory year abroad in your third year. The focus of your studies is broadly in one area e.g. Russian or French with your course units covering both language and content subjects such as literature, film or history. You will usually have the opportunity in each year of your studies to take a course unit from across the Faculty of Humanities.
- Linguistics and English Language - Single honours courses in Linguistics or English Language are studied over three years. You will take the majority of your course units within the Department but there will be opportunities for you to broaden your experience through your free choice option. This gives you access to a range of course units from across the Faculty of Humanities.
- Middle Eastern Studies- Although most of our Middle Eastern Studies courses include language study and therefore follow the same structure as our Modern Languages degrees we also offer a number of three year degree programmes in this area.
- A choice of two Modern Languages studied for four years (Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Hebrew, Italian, Japanese, Persian, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish or Turkish)
- A Modern Language studied jointly for four years with either Business & Management, English Language, English Literature, European Studies, History, History of Art, Linguistics or Screen Studies.
- Further Options exist within Linguistics and English Language and Middle Eastern Studies
- Most of the options above include a compulsory year abroad.
Integrated Professional Master of Modern Languages (IPML)
This challenging course is the first of its kind in the UK. It is a four-year enhanced course, enabling highly qualified students to reach an outstanding level of expertise in two languages. You study any two of the following languages: Chinese, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Russian and Spanish; you must have an A-level (or equivalent) in both languages. The final year of study is taught at Masters level.
We offer a range of residence abroad options for our IPML students that mean you can extend your course to complete in 4, 5 or 6 years. At least one period of residence abroad is spent in a professional environment giving you practical work experience.
Our IPML students are given the opportunity to take up career management options as well as a third language during their studies in Manchester. All students study the theory and practice of translation during their final period of study at Masters level.